Re: Advice for newcomer to the MGB?!

To: lennon80@usa.net
Subject: Re: Advice for newcomer to the MGB?!
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 19:01:54 EDT
On Sat, 11 Apr 1998 17:27:21 -0400 Brian Furgalus <lennon80@usa.net>
writes:
>I'm a 15 (soon to be 16) year old in Cleveland Ohio that is about to
>buy
>a B.  I've done my research, but would really appreciate any advice.
>bought Lindsay Porter's book yesterday.  Excellent buyers guide.
>Anything else I should look out for?  I'm also having problems
>deciding
>between the later rubber-bumper models (1977-1980) and the mid-aged
>(1972-1974.5 chrome).  I know the chrome looks nicer, but which is
>more
>appropriate for everyday use?  The thing attracting me to the later
>ones
>is mainly the cost.  I have about $3500 set aside for the car, and
>more
>for initial repairs.  Is that reasonable for a chrome in my area?
>Thanks!
>
>Cheers (as they say in Ye Olde England),
>Brian Furgalus

Welcome Brian - its good to see that insanity also strikes at an early
age!!
Porters is the best guide i know of to use as a check list - but take
some of it with a grain of salt - he is looking for the PERFECT car - and
there 'aint any of those for 3500!- however - for that price you should
get one that doesnt need a whole heck of a lot of work, especially if you
opt for a RB car.
The key element you need to avoid is RUST - floors,rockers.doglegs - any
serious bodywork costs a lot to repair and remember that paint comes in a
close second!! -
Things like seat covers, interior items, soft tops etc are less of an
issue.Use porters book to ascertain the viability of the car and then get
it checked by a mechanic for "unseen"problems - brakes, steering.
drivetrain. - its possible for someone to have polished one religiously
for 25 years and never changed the oil or had the steering bushings
replaced!
Look at several before you choose one - get an idea of what is available
- and what people are asking, this will help you get the best bang for
your buck and its not as if they are especially rare -
Be prepared to travel a bit in your quest (known as "doing a Bob
Allen"!!) - log in to the MG website(cant remember the URL offhand but
just search "mgcars") and check out the for sale section - there are
always plenty to choose from.
As to chrome vs rubber - its not just a money thing, get the one you
prefer!! - a few bucks here or there is worth the satisfaction.
Once you've got one, obtain valium and a set of spanners then youre on
tyour way!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT