Re: B manifold to downpipe flange - Intended Project

To: Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: B manifold to downpipe flange - Intended Project
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 10:46:34 -0700
Dan Ray wrote:

>     Thanks to all for the advice on getting the exhaust off. I'm going > to
>go  soak those nuts in WD40!
>     BTW, I've pretty much decided to get a stock down pipe, (keeping the
> manifold) then adapt it to a PECO exhaust. This will give me the option of
> getting into a PECO or other 2" header down the road (maybe). I'm going to
> attempt to put this thing together myself with no welding, paying close
> attention to mounting with the stock brackets. I've noticed the welds as
> critical failure points (probably due to poor craftsmanship, though)
>      Step in if you think I'm being stupid. I haven't ordered anything yet.
> My goal is to have the B back on the road by May 9th for a Louisville BC
> club convoy to the Scottish Days near Cincinatti.
> Thanks Again,
> Dan
> '73 B

   Dan,

  When I did mine I used the Ansa exhaust system.  It's in Moss as
"Performance Free-Flow Exhaust Systems" 454-595, @ $164.95.  I got mine
from George Merryweather for 25% off of that.  The stock head pipe is
444-020 @ $55.95.  Again George is 25% off.  My total was $166.43.

  Doing it the above way, it was a straight bolt-in installation to the
stock hanger brackets, with clamped slide-together joints.  I had to saw
about 3" off the headpipe so things would align.  One important point:
Make sure to tighten the header to manifold nuts LAST. Get everything
hanging under the car with all the fasteners finger tight, while making
sure the headpipe is square to the manifold flange and the headpipe
support (at the bell housing) is installed.

   If you go from the stock headpipe to the Peco, you may have to do
some welding or get an adapter from 2" to stock diameter.  That's a
question I'd ask Moss - about how to adapt from Peco to stock....

--
  Charley Robinson
  Kerrville, TX, USA