Re: 5 speed vs. OD conversion

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: 5 speed vs. OD conversion
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 10:26:40 -0600
Keith Wheeler wrote:

  SNIP

> The best gas milage (27 mpg) I've ever had was running across southern
> Arizona at about 90 MPH.
> > Without an overdrive.

 Er, did you catch any big fish during that trip?  ;^)

> Ben, put your money in your engine.  VP-2 bearings, good head, good springs,
> and don't overheat it.  You can run it at 4500 RPM all day long, for more
> than a couple of years.

  Some of us want the engine to last _many_ more than a couple of
years.  That's why we go with the original factory driving handbook that
advises us to keep the revs below 4,000 for best economy and longevity.

  How anybody can't see that running the car in OD results in fewer
engine revolutions per mile, and thus less wear, is beyond me.

--
  Charley Robinson
  Kerrville, TX, USA