Re: 5 speed vs. OD conversion

To: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 5 speed vs. OD conversion
From: jello@ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 22:29:55 -0600 (MDT)
>> >If I remember the comments from the John Twist tech pages
>> >correctly, the overdrive is a placebo on the MGB. It does
>> >no harm to run the engine that fast, and there are no gains
>> >in either economy or performance...
>---------------------------------
>I agree--at today's higher speeds.
>
>When new, my  non O/D 74 B tached 3500 @ 60mph. After awhile it
>settled down to 32. Gas mileage was about 32mpg at same speed, 22 or
>so street. I had the chance to buy O/D new, but it was $600 more and
>dealer mechanic said don't bother. I think he was right-- I saw plenty
>fall apart there at 60k miles, canceling out savings
>
>At 55mph the OD might make a noise difference compared to non OD. But
>no one drives that slow any more. 3200rpm and up is still loud, O/D or
>not. In my experience it's only good for moderate freeway speeds-- and
>who wants to drive there now?
>
>Jim
>'74B

I agree with the no harm done at higher revs issue.

For the record - I drive my '67 MGB with overdrive at 80+ mph 28 miles each
direction to work every sunny day (and I live in the desert, so that's a lot
of days).  The noise difference is significant.  It also takes a dead stock
version of the car up to a top speed of 105, without OD, I can only do 95 at
this altitude.
Phil Bates
58 MGA
66 Citroen DS21 Manual Pallas