Re: Victoria British Shipping

To: <baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Victoria British Shipping
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:06:56 -0400
>Ironic... as I was at the Moss NJ location just yesterday myself.  The
>counter person (Tommy) was very polite and helpful.  He asked me several
>times if there was anything else I needed.  He took the time to helpme look
>up part numbers, etc.

"do you need anything else" = "please please spend your money here!"

That isn't usually the case, but I do get quite annoyed when I'm asked
multiple times if I need anything else.  Whenever I cover the counter for
another co-worker, I do not push to make them buy more... because as a
consumer I know how much I dislike it.  On the flip side, I'm sure there are
people that like this because it is a reminder if they forgot to purchase
something.

>I would have loved it if he jumped up and down when I told him I just got a
>'62 MGA, but that's kinda asking a lot.  I think we expect a lot more than
>normal service because we love our cars, and to the folks who sell parts,
>it's really just a job most of the time.  Wouldn't it be neat if the guy
>got  really happy every time someone bought an MG ashtray?

You know, again from the other perspective, there are customers that can be
really lame to deal with.  The ones that have no idea what they are doing,
the ones that don't come knowing what to purchase, the ones that don't know
the part numbers or the their VIN numbers or any information that would give
a clue to what part they would need.  Then you just have the regular grumpy
PITA customer.  Or the customers that look at me, realize my age, then ask
if there is anyone that can help them... that makes me mad.  Those are the
kinds of problems we deal with, and sometimes we get a little pissed for the
rest of the day.... to the point that we feel like sticking "F@#K WORK"
stickers all over the place.

But I do deal with some very cool people.  Like the customers that come and
hang out in the showroom for 5 hours and talk forever about their cars,
while I continue to do work.  Makes work go quicker.  Or the customer that
says "come out and let me show you my car."

Don't get me wrong, most customers are all right.  But I prefer sitting in
my office doing work to covering the counter.  But I'll take helping
customers any day over doing inventory ;-)

--
Kai Radicke -- kmr@pil.net -- 1966 MGB @ http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg
IRC: irc.mcs.net, #inet-access (my nick: KMR or rebelgeek)