Re: Victoria British Shipping

To: ccrobins <ccrobins@ktc.com>, Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Subject: Re: Victoria British Shipping
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:58:53
At 06:48 AM 6/10/98 -0500, ccrobins wrote:
>Somebody who claims to have been in the VB storefront said they are right
accross the street from a UPS regional center.  One reason they can get
stuff out so fast.  Er, if they try.....

I had a tour of the VB facility several years ago.  The UPS terminal is
indeed right across the street, and they just drop of a UPS trailer at the
VB dock for loading.  VB ships out a full UPS truck load every day, and
sometimes require a second trailer.  They say they ship most orders within
24 hours of receipt, but my experience on the receiving end isn't quite so
optimistic.  Delivery of in stock items has varied from three days to a week.

On the supply side, they usually have what you need for daily maintainance
of your MG, but fall far short of having everything required for a full
restoration.  Backorders are common, correctly marked boxes with the wrong
parts inside are common, and technical knowledge or help is non-existant.
Occasionally they may have something you can't get anywhere else, but
that's a rarity.  Sometimes their list prices are a bit lower, but
certainly not on all items.  And the shipping fees are a bit high,
especially on small orders.  And if you have to place a second order
elsewhere to get everything you need, the second shipping charge nearly
always negates any cost savings.

Personally I like Moss Motors service and inventory, and the price breaks
you can get through third party distributors are a big help.  I'm often in
the mood for same day shipment, second day air delivery, get it all in one
box with one order, and especially to get it right the first time.

$.02,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude