FW: Re: I need a new engine (I think)

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: FW: Re: I need a new engine (I think)
From: "Webber, Geoff" <gwebber@dow.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 07:42:00 -0400
Apologies if double-posted here........

----------
From:  Webber, Geoff
Sent:  Friday, 12 June 1998 18:13
To:  'MG List'
Cc:  'jspeiser@erols.com'
Subject:  Re: I need a new engine (I think)

>And then I took it out of the car last week, disassembled and cleaned it,
and >- you guessed it - found those date disks in the iron casting of both
the
>block and the cylinder head that show the exact month-day-year of casting!

Where are these? My little aluminium tag has come off (it was in my glove
box when I bought the car) and all I've seen on the block are some letters
and x's - none of which match any part of the aluminium plate number.
Thoughts of X'd out serial numbers on Saturday Night Special pistols cross
my mind...I think I watch to many cop shows on TV...hehheehee...
As it is I think I have an 18GF (as per aluminium plate) engine in the car
when 18GH seems to be the correct vintage for the GHN4U body - Sept 69
manufacture according to the Federal plate riveted to the door frame.
One day (when the little Aussie dollar gets up off the floor again!!!) I
will shell out the GBP25 for a Heritage certificate from Abingdon and be
done with it but thats like AUD75 these days and I'd rather buy something
else.

Cheers

Geoff.