Re: swaps

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: swaps
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 12:51:08 -0700
In a message dated 98-07-04 22:57:43 EDT, bkrueger@ici.net writes:

> I believe that there is a real need to try to preserve more of these
> machines in
>  their as-the-factory-may-have-done-them state as we can reasonably do so.

You should see my collection of VIN plates.  I take them from MGs and
TRs I find in junkyard.  Cars like a '62 MG Midet (side curtain model)
with a nearly rust-free tub that went to the crusher.  *Very* few MG
folks that I mention these finds to seem to care.  They get glossy
eyed (there's old Wheeler again, rambling about junk parts) and they
cars.

I'd rather see that '62 Midget on the street with a killer RX-7 engine in
it than where it is now...now it can't be seen anymore.  Think about it.

In the last year or so of my adventuring to the San Diego junkyards, I've
seen the following cars that weren't there when I went back:

'68 MGB
MGB GT
'79 MGB
'77 MGB
MGB GT
'78 TR-7
'62 MG Midget
'72 MG Midget
'74 TR-7
'78 MG Midget
'74 Spitfire
'76 Spitfire
'77 MG Midget

Along with hosts of other enthusiast cars, FIAT 124's and X1/9s, an
XJ6, even an Austin Princess Limo.

If I had the money and place, I'd take all those 1500 Spitfidgets and
wankel power them and build some really fun street rides.  But I can't,
because I can only do so many projects at once, and those cars are
gone now.

I will go back to dreaming of what my 'B will be like when it gets
its fuel injected 3.9 litre Rover V-8 installed.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/