B problem -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, jtfred@on134th.com
Subject: B problem -Reply
From: William Schooler <WSchooler@hcfa.gov>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 12:15:16 -0400
John,

Bob's suggestion was a good one.  If, however, you find the fuel pipes
undamaged, suggest you double check how you have the fuel lines hooked up to
your carbs (HIF-4s?).  In particular, check that the overflow hoses are properly
hooked up.  I have heard of instances where the overflow (vent) line was hooked
up "back-to-back" between the two carbs, thereby creating an overpressure
situation in the top of the float bowls.  This must be close to atmospheric
pressure for the mixture to be correct.

Bill

>>> John Fredrikson <jtfred@on134th.com> 07/09/98 09:00am >>>
I had last Thursday and Friday off last week, so I thought I would
finally replace the clutch on my 72 B so I could drive it on the Fourth.

The clutch replacement went OK. I had a little trouble getting the motor

back in alone, but it wasn't too bad.

The problem is that now the car won't run for more than 30 seconds
before it dies. If I try to start it immediately after it kills, it
won't start. If I wait a minute while the fuel pump (non SU after
market) runs, it will start and run for about 30 seconds. It has to be a

fuel supply problem. At one point when it started to die I sprayed gas
into the carb and that kept it running. I pulled the fuel supply line
from the carb and it is putting out plenty of gas. The fuel filter is
only a month old and looks OK.

I have tried:

adjusting the floats
new float bowl valve (from Grose jet to original style)
new needles
new fuel pump

At this point I am at a loss. All I did to the carbs for the clutch swap

was to remove them and replace them. I didn't do anything to the pump.

If any of you have any suggestions I'll try anything at this point.
Please send reply's to my address as well as the list since I have just
started a new job and I'm way behind on reading the digests.

TIA

Fred