Re: FWD vs RWD

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: FWD vs RWD
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:15:24 -0400
Keith Wheeler wrote:

> Trevor,
>
> Or course you had to leave out my disclaimer in this quote.  Comparing a
> Mini to anything is apples and oranges.  A Mini is a wonderful car to drive,
> I've driven one in competition.  Just because a Mini can do amazing
> things doesn't mean that a Honda (or whatever FWD flavor you like) is the
> best road racing car.

  Well, be fair then.

  You can't put down FWD but selective exclude some cars. I
can't say "you can't get an MG in any nice colours!" then
say "you didn't read my disclaimer, I wasn't counting
the reds, blues, greens, yellows... etc.... etc...".

  Like any design, some cars do it right and some cars do it
wrong, or more accurately, are built for other goals instead
of sporty performance.

  If you look at the current batch of FWD cars and aren't
impressed, remember that most aren't designed for sporty
handling.

  My stable for example has three MGs and a FWD Toyota Celica. My
1970 MGB is mildly prepped for such things, Aeroscreens,
stripped interior, lightened body, etc. etc. etc.

  Looks great, lots of fun to drive, but my 92 Celica FWD will
outperform it in EVERY way and do it so smoothly that you could
have a conversation with your mother in the passenger seat while
doing it. And the Celica, while I love it, isn't the best handling
FWD car ever made and is bone stock.

  If you get into a FWD drive car with only RWD experience, it
isn't going to be fast because your driving style takes some
readjustment. But give it a chance, and you might be surprised.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca