Re: FWD vs RWD

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: FWD vs RWD
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 14:04:00 -0700
Trevor,

My original commentary was based on someone having said "real
race cars."  I'm not comparing ancient MGs to modern Japan-o-cars,
or tiny lightweight Minis to monsterous Jag sedans, my comment was:
(and here I'm quoting myself):  "Here's the why behind the "real race cars"
thing".

Yes, there are FWD cars that can outperform RWD.  But when it comes to
"winning races" as you said, the best platform is RWD.  Period.  When
you show me a winning FWD Cart, F1, or WSC, then I'll change my mind.
This is a question of physics.  Now, when it comes to personal opinion,
I still think FWD understeering appliances are popular because so many
folks have no idea what it really means to drive a car, instead of pointing
it down the road.  Of course we have to accept the huge difference between
flat out competition machinery (what I interpreted from the original poster's
"real race cars") and street cars.

As far as street cars are concerned...geeze, it'd be easier if we could
just get together and you could go for rides in various cars we have.
Yes, M's V-tec prelude can turn better times than my 4 banger 'B, but
then why is it that overweight 1500cc X1/9 of ours stomps both?  There's
a big difference between smooth "performance" on the street, and
real racing.

You used the term "sporty" many times.  I was not talking about "sporty".
Sporty to mean brings to mind someone who wants to feel fast, and is happy
because their car is easy to drive a little bit faster than other ppl's cars.

For street use?  Drive what you like.  There are so many things to choose
from.  Personally, I like twitchy, nervous, high-strung machines that
"just say no" to understeer.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/