Re: FWD vs RWD

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: FWD vs RWD
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:09:32 EDT
In a message dated 9/17/98 8:20:14 PM !!!First Boot!!!, tboicey@brit.ca
writes:

>   Like any design, some cars do it right and some cars do it
>  wrong, or more accurately, are built for other goals instead
>  of sporty performance.

At least one FWD car was built as a true sports car, the Saab Sonnet. It
handled very well indeed and could probably out corner any car ever made on
wet/icey pavement. (Other things being equal, FWD has a definite advantage on
water, snow and ice.) The Sonnet had a tubular frame and a fiberglass body. It
was super light. I don't know the exact weight, but I once saw a guy pick up
one end at a time to maneuver it around in a dealer's showroom. Being so light
it should have been faster than snot, but it had a pitifully weak V4 engine. I
don't know how the Sonnet did in competition but it has got to be better than
a Mini.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336