RE: MGA, refurbished all hydraulics - good report

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: MGA, refurbished all hydraulics - good report
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:13:19 EDT
>Paul Kile writes:

>Tell me this - why should I continue to use a fluid type that will cause
>failures in existing components, result in system problems, and void
>warranties, whereas the DOT 4 Castrol LMA does none of the above?  The
>fact that silicone fluid doesn't harm paint does not outweigh the
>problems.  So what if you have to change out DOT 4 fluid every two years
> - one of life's little pleasures is doing maintenance on my LBCs.

>Cheers,
>Paul Kile
>1974 Factory MGB-GT V-8

Paul,

I wrote a question about DOT4 vs. DOT5 fluid and asked for opinions
and reasons for those opinions.  I really appreciate your information.
It is good to know that there is a major risk involved with DOT5 fluid
under those circumstances.

I have found that there are many strong opinions about which fluid to
use and under what types of use.  I just bought a '77 Midget which needs
all the hydraulics re-built.  Do you know if any of the things you mentioned
would happen in a Midget?  Is the brake light switch the same pressure
type as on your B-GT?

I'm just trying to avoid a mistake, and getting a lot of good help on the
lists.
FYI - Right now the opinions I have collected run about 2 to 1 in favor of
DOT5,
but the reasons for using LMA are more than valid.  It appears that both are
good choices, and your mileage may differ!

Incidentally, if you have any cars with ABS, do not use silicone brake fluid.
It does not have the lubrication properties needed for the ABS pump.

Thanks again,

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport