Re: Cylinder Head Install ..... Arggg

To: "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>,
Subject: Re: Cylinder Head Install ..... Arggg
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 10:14:25 -0500
Nick,
  Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  Tapping the rocker stud and
threading in a screw with lock tight to try and back the broken stud
out won't work I'm afraid.
  What you're going to have to do is drill a hole into the stud, and go
in with a easyout.  An easyout is to hardened steel tool that is tapered
and spiral cut with counter clockwise grooves.  You stick the easyout
into the hole and screw it counter clockwise until it bits into the stud
and screws it out (hopefully).  Be very careful not to over torque the
easyout, if you break it off things really become hard to fix.
   Now then,  one thing you probably did wrong is to try and torque
the studs into the head.  What you need to do is make sure the stud
hole are completely clean, then put lock tight stud lock on the stud
threads and screw them into the holes until they just bottom out.
Don't put more that a couple of pounds of torque on them,  all your
doing is putting extra stress on the block once the studs are bottomed
out.  Remember these things will be under tension when the head is
torqued down.  Same goes for the rocker pedestal studs.
   Hope you get it out OK.  As long as you have the head off anyway,
you might want a machine shop remove that broken stud if you're
not confident about it,  they won't charge much to do it, and broken
off easyouts are a bi**h to get out.
Good Luck,
Harlan.