RE: Cylinder Head Install ..... Arggg

To: <JustBrits@aol.com>, "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@mcione.com>,
Subject: RE: Cylinder Head Install ..... Arggg
From: "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 16:21:58 -0700
Ed/Larry/Harlan,

Thanks for the advise.  I actually picked up an easy out this morning.
Started to drill the tap hole into the stud.  But, the metal was a very hard
and the bit wasn't going in.  So, I've decided I'd better take it to a
machine shop tomorrow just as you suggest. (Ed, it is the #1 rocker stud.)

A friend is also lending me a stud puller.  I was going to back out the
head/rocker studs and install them as Harlan suggested.

The friend (ex-professional racer) previously suggested that I buy a new
complete set of hardened head/rocker studs and replace the old ones.  He
said the factory studs were a bit on the weak side.  But, I'm not building a
race engine, so wasn't inclined to do that until the rocker stud broken
(40lb torque).  Is that something that I should do?  Or, is the broken stud
a bit of a flux?

Thanks again for the advice,

Nick
73B