Cylinder Head Install ..... Arggg

Subject: Cylinder Head Install ..... Arggg
From: "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 19:07:03 -0700
I got the Aluminum Cylinder Head in from Northwest Imports (came w/ valves
installed for $695) and started installing it this weekend.

Ran into problems when I tried to pull the old head.  I couldn't get it off
no matter what I tried (including turning the engine over).  Turned out
that, the number 1 stud (the one you begin to torque first when installing)
must have been a little bent.  I ended up having to notch the sides so I
could get a firm enough grip w/ the Vise Grips to get it off.  Then had to
run around town (San Diego) trying to find a place that sold a replacement.
Isn't carried in any of the Auto Parts store.  Finally ended up at a local
British Repair Shop (Windsor Motors -- great folks) who gave me used one.

Also, the cast iron head was threaded for fine thread studs on the manifold
and heater.  The new aluminum head uses a coarse thread.  So, off to the
auto parts stores again.  Found them at a Napa dealer (Windsor was closed by
this time).

So, got the head back on and head studs tightened down.  Started tightening
the rocker studs, when one of them snapped down at the base, flush with the
head.  So, I had to take the head back off the car.  I'll probably try
drilling a hole into it and tapping it w/ a screw secured with locktite.
But, given my luck, I'll have to find a machine shop to get it out.  Argggg.

The SO has told me to quit being so grumpy and not to sweat the small stuff.

Nick
73B

Also, are the Rocker studs torqued to 25 or 50 lbs?