Re: Seatbelts

To: dresden@tiac.net
Subject: Re: Seatbelts
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 00:17:29 -0800
dresden@tiac.net wrote:

> >Hi, I'm new to the list... so I'm sure this isn't a new subject -
> >Seatbelts.
> >
> >I have a '79 MGB LE and I know that the original belts were recalled,
> >but the last time around - seven years ago with an '80 MGB LE - I got no
> >where trying to get them replaced.
>
> While we're on the topic, I sent a letter off to Range Rover a couple of
> months ago regarding the same recall...no response. Does anyone know if
> there's a government agency we can all complain to and maybe get them to
> actually do something, or is this just a waste of time? Has anyone on the
> list who has been promised seat belts actually GOTTEN them? Anyone at all?
> Thanks.
>
> Nevin

Ok, I have seen this thread before and said nothing, but I think I will
play the devil's advocate and ask the question in the back of my mind.

Why do you expect to get seatbelts for free from the manufacturer, 19
years after the last car of that type was produced???Surely if you owned
a 76 Comet or Volare, you would not expect the original manufacturer to
supply parts to you, the second owner, at this late date. Why do you
expect this from BMC???

Please don't user this to light your flame throwers, but I am serious in
my question. My parents owned a 76 Volare when they were new, and 4 yrs
later received a pair of fenders free because they had a rust out
problem directly above the wheel opening.  I bought the car off them and
in 4 more yrs, the same hole had rusted through the fenders. There was
no way that Chrysler would supply me with a set, so this question is for
real/.

Mark Snowdon
69 Sprite,71 & 73 Midgets