Re: Painting Bolts

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re: Painting Bolts
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:20:18
At 01:03 AM 1/28/99 +1000, Neil Cotty wrote:
>If I'm painting an engine, assembling using lots of nice shiny new nuts,
bolts, washers etc. How do I go about painting these, I mean in what order?

Assemble engine complete, minus manifolds and accessories.  Plug holes for
spark plugs, oil filler, vents, etc, and mask off the manifold mounting
surface and I/E ports on the head.  Paint it all in assembly.

As a matter of making the top side look nice, you might consider removing
the logo plates from the valve cover while painting the engine.  Just grind
off the rivet tips inside the cover and punch out the rivets to remove the
plates.  New rivets are cheap and easy to set by hand when reinstalling the
plates after painting.

$.02,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude