Re: MGB Overdrive??

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Overdrive??
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:29:07 -0500 (EST)
>Why on earth would Car manufacturers around the world make these things if
>this was not the case?

A couple of suggestions as to why they would:

NOISE! Try driving an LBC without overdrive a thousand miles at 75 mph with
the top down. When you stop for gas it's like you just got out of a rock
concert; at least that's been my experience.

And another reason, at least in the United States: Drivers who are
convinced that high rpm's kills engines and wastes gas. So it becomes a
selling point even if the only real advantage is noise reduction. And I say
"if" because I can see both sides of the argument: To turn the question
around; if overdrive is so advantageous, why would anyone have ever bought
a car without one?

I can understand a slight increase in engine wear from more revolutions,
but it doesn't seem like it would be substantial enough to make me run out
and get an overdrive, though if you already have one, that's great. If I
were ever to get an overdrive unit, it would mostly be for noise reduction.

Cheers in whatever gear you like,

Nevin