Re: MGB Overdrive??

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Overdrive??
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:19:14 -0600
Just one more plug to add to this.
    Does the reduced RPM save wear and tear on the engine?  Probably.  Is it
measurable?  Probably not in any significant manner at normal driving
speeds, but at 85 - 100 MPH, yes.
Does it increase gas mileage? Probably.  Is it measurable?  Well in my past
experience it may give an extra 1 mpg at freeway cruising speeds with the
wind in the right direction if going down hill etc.....   Is it worth it?
YES every da*m dime.  Just the reduction in engine noise while cruising down
the interstate at 70 is worth it.  The car may not feel any better, but I
sure do.
I think the real savings on the mechanicals is probably at the higher engine
rpms when cruising at speeds in excess of the posted limits (85 +).  When
you start to get over 80% of the rated maximum rpm, its bound to take its
toll.  If you're talking about driving around town, then the overdrive
should probably never need to be engaged.
   All of this of course is JMHO, and YMMV.
H.