Re: MGB prices

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re: MGB prices
From: Pat Bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:04:44 -0800

Neil Cotty wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> . Thats the problem with MGs IMO, the resale value
> doesn't come close to offsetting the cost of parts/work etc - at least in
> this country.
>
> Cheers,
> Neil.

  Neil ,
How much do we lose on a new car you buy it for 20~30,000 and in 5 years you are
lucky if you get 1/2.I don't understand why we expect to get back the same or
more than we put into these cars I guess we think they are "special" and
"classics " and  we need to justify the investment but we don't have the same
attitude on new cars.I,ve had my B for amost 5 years and have probably put 5
grand in it and if I sold it to someone who would love it like me I would'nt
mind if i only got 2 grand Less than a thousand a year to have as much fun as
I,ve had isn,t a bad investment!Hell some people spend a grand a year on
cigarettes!
What else in life do we buy that we expect to keep it's value or appreciate?Not
your TVs your stereos,furniture etc Very little we buy is worth waht we paid for
it a few yers down the road.Just enjoy your MG and don't worry about what it is
worth and when you do sell it get what you can and write the rest off as pretty
cheap fun!As for the "values"I don't think they are realistic there is a guy who
wants $3500 for a '69 GT today in the LA times Good luck!! I don't think he'll
get it.Go drive 'em enjoy'em and stop fretting over the latest value It's NOT
the stock market!!
Pat