Oil coolers

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil coolers
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:00:51 -0500

Bill-

You are right, I am not an expert on MG's. I have driven 4cyl B's &
Midgets as daily transportation for about 10 years before converting to
V-8's, & I am not an expert in this area either, with only 4 conversions
& 350,000  miles to my credit (?).

You may wish to take another look at what I wrote.

I said that anyone contemplating adding a cooler should first install an
oil temp guage, & determine if it was necessary, or if their oil temp
was such that a cooler was not required. Expert or not, I stand by
that.  Anyone who installs one simply because someone else tells them
they should is not making the most intelligent decision possible.

I believe I specifically exempted race or heavily modified engines from
my remarks.

I also said that anyone wanting the "G-whiz" factor of shiny oil lines
should definitely install one, because they had a valid (to them) reason
for doing so. This was a serious, not a demeaning comment. Lots of us do
things to our cars for "the Look", nothing wrong with that, IMHO.

I try to add some benefit to the list, through occasional posts, as I
have received much from it. I am sure your motives are the same. It does
not do anyone, or the list any benefit, to be  insulting in replying to
a post. If someone has more knowledge or information, it can be past
along without side comments which add nothing. New people to the list
(and old) can be discouraged from asking questions because they do not
want a discourteous reply from a group they thought was here to help.

Please give us (or me) your qualifications & experience regarding oil
coolers in a non- racing environment. I am sure the information will be
helpful. Racing experiences, while colorful & entertaining, have little
bearing on the subject of oil coolers for the daily or occasionally
driven cars I was referring to.

Sorry to be slow in replying, I am on the digest, so do not receive the
posts "live"

I did find the API website, & contacted their tech section to ask what a
safe temp range is for the modern motor oils. If my Nomex suit has not
charred, & I have not burned to a crisp, I will forward any info I
receive.

Jim Stuart
Clad in 4 layers of Nomex, running for the fire truck