RE: There's RED and there's RED (Color Question)

To: BMack <bmack99@home.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: There's RED and there's RED (Color Question)
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:52:17 -0700
Red, hmm ........ lots of different reds out there.  About two years ago I
went through the process of choosing one that suited me.  I was looking for
a bright red, not to orange and not to blue.  You will find that many reds
"lean" toward one of those two colors.

I went to every car lot I could find, only to get more confused.  I found
out that unless the reds are side by side you really can't compare.  I ended
up spending time at the local shopping mall, that's right, the mall .......
in the parking lot.  Turns out there are a lot of red cars, some even park
next to each other.  When I saw two parked next to each other I made notes.
Ultimately I ended up in a Pontiac dealership asking about the red color on
Pontiac Grand Prix's and Grand Am's.  They had one in their showroom, the
salesman gave me the color code, and I was off to the paint shop.

I ended up with a two stage color, Bright Red Primary.  The code is 81U or
WA-8774.  You'll find this color on many GM cars that are "bright" red.  It
does look similar to Tartan Red but is much brighter.  I get tons of
compliments on it.

One of the benefits of using a common GM color is the availability of touch
up paint, it is available just about everywhere.

Good luck.

Larry Hoy, Denver, CO USA
1970 Daily Driver ~ 1967 Vintage Racer ~ 1969 Undergoing V8 conversion
http://home.cwix.com/~larryhoy@cwix.com/