RE: WooHoo - sort of. <G>

To: David Sylvain <niosh@pop.ma.ultranet.com>
Subject: RE: WooHoo - sort of. <G>
From: John Trindle <johnt@tsquare.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 14:40:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, David Sylvain wrote:

> >> <g> I did this once, and the car barely ran.. the adjuster
> >> spun off while
> >> I was on the interstate.  I fought and fought the ignition
> >> and carbs in
> >> the parking lot of a 7-11 until I thought to take the valve
> >> cover off (the
> >> next *day*)
> >
> >     I've also had this happen. In my case, it was an exhaust valve that
> >backed off, and the resulting back pressure increase through the intake
> >manifold blew the rear plug out of the intake manifold, as well as blowing
> >out the top and bottom of every gasket in between the carbs and the head.
> >
> >Dan Pockrus
> >'74B in faded Citron
> >

> I adjusted the valves for the first time this weekend -- And now you guys
> are making me nervous!  How tight is "tight" when pinching-up the nuts on
> the adjusters?  Obviously, I don't want the nuts to back-off; but I don't
> want to strip 'em by overtightening.

Oh, tight is only moderately tight.  In my case, I'm relatively sure that
I missed tightening this one.

Probably missed adjusting it totally.  At the time I was listening to
someone who's procedure it was to slack all the adjustment nuts before
starting, then he'd now which one's he had missed by checking for
tightness when he thought he was done.  If you leave out the last step...

--
John M. Trindle | johnt@tsquare.com    | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire H Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock