Re: Interesting cap for open cars

To: "Feldman, Jack (Jack)" <jack@lucent.com>,
Subject: Re: Interesting cap for open cars
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:20:57 -0400
At 03:01 PM 4/13/99 -0500, Feldman, Jack (Jack) wrote:
>Two problems when driving open in the hot sun. Sunburn, and glare in the
>eyes. I spotted a hat that might solve those problems in a catalog from the
>The hat is called a Legionnaire Cap. It is off white in color (machine
>washable so that is ok), has a wide visor, and a flap that comes down to
>cover the back of the neck. The flap has snaps so it can be folded up when
>not needed. The hat also comes with a string for tying under your chin if
>you don't mind looking silly. The number is 1 800 938-0333, and the hat is
>#137752. Ask for a catalog and look at the picture on page 44 before
>ordering.

Sounds great! This could be a helpful thread. Denise's comment is also a
good consideration. In the years I've been in the NEMGTR I have seen
everything in the way of hats and ways to stay cool.

My wife complains most of the toasted (and I am talking about beet red)
feet and ankles from traveling long distances in a T type.On a hot day, the
temperature reaches 140 in the foot well

On the Ocean to Ocean run in 1989 some very interesting solutions to the
heat problem were seen. Necessity is the mother of invention.

For the cars cooling, most TDs and TCs had removed the bottom sides of the
bonnet. No solution for TFs.

For the people, make shift legionnaire hats from baseball caps and wash
towels were common.

For the foot well heat, most cars drove with the front doors open a few
inches. This is achieved by shoving a towel in between the door (it opens
from the front on T types) and attaching a bungy cord to keep the door from
opening any wider. We drove hundreds of miles through dessert with the
driver having his left front leg on the left front fender, and the
passenger with his right leg on the right fender. We would change every few
hours.

The best "Rube Goldberg " solution to the foot well heat was one car that
4" dryer hose to each front fender and looped it down and around to create
fresh air flow in the footwells. The car looked like some prehistoric
tusked animal.

Our cars were built for cool, misty, no sun England, not American summers
in the flat lands.  Others should make suggestions in these areas.

Mike