Re: Screw Extractor

To: Mike Razor <mrazor@kih.net>
Subject: Re: Screw Extractor
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 20:48:10 -0500

Mike Razor wrote:

> Who can tell me how these things work.  I have a bleeder valve
> sheared off flush with the side of the caliper.  There is a
> hole in the middle that the #2 extractor fits in.  There is a
> picture of a drill on the box set of extractors.
> 1. Which way do I turn the drill (forward) (backward)
> 2. How much pressure
> 3. Am I suppose to chew the screw out or bite into it and back
> it out
> HELP!
> MIKE R

1.  It should come out backwards like a bolt

2.  Enough to back the broken part but if you break the extractor (ez
out, in the parlance) you have even more problems.  They are next to
impossible to drill if you need to try it again.

3.  Bite into it and back it out.  Make sure you have soaked it
thoroughly in some sort of penetrating stuff--several days wouldn't
hurt.  Heat works well in some applications but you should be careful.
--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO