Re: Screw Extractor

To: mrazor@kih.net
Subject: Re: Screw Extractor
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 17:01:52 EDT
Mike,
  The basic idea of a screw extractor is that it screws with its
left-hand screw into a hole in the stuck bolt. It screws in until it jams
because of its taper in that hole, then continued counterclockwise
turning is supposed to overcome the resistance of the sheared bolt and
twist out the bolt as the extractor remains fixed in the bolt.   That's
the theory.  Often it works, but I second Ed Kaler's advice.
  To answer your questions: 1) Look at the drill and see if it's the
regular right-hand twist or the considerably harder to find left-hand
twist.  Turn it so that the sharp edge at the point of the drill cuts
into the target area.  2) Um..just enough pressure....too much will break
off the drill and then you will have reached a new level of troubles.
Use the same pressure you would use with any other drill bit about that
size.  3) I'm going to assume that the extractor manufacturer wants you
to drill the hole of such a size that the extractor works in and jams,
thus turning out the broken screw.  Check to see if the extractor mfg.
didn't give a drill size somewhere in the instructions.     You can use a
left-twist drill to remove broken right-twist bolts, but since the mgf.
mentions drilling first, follow his instructions.   BTW, there are
half-a-dozen different extractor designs, so one set of instructions does
not fit all.
Bob