Re: Jag XKE

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: Jag XKE
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 02:34:55 -0400
"Dodd, Kelvin" wrote:
> From my understanding, working on an E-Type is not fun, too many bits in too
> little space.

  I can vouch for that.

  Just tonight, I removed the water pump from my 69
roadster. On most cars, that isn't exciting enough
to even mention to your wife at breakfast, but it
took me basically one evening to get the rad off and
one evening to get the water pump off. (and this is
evening cutting some corners like moving the
alternator out of the way with the wires attached
rather than taking it right out of the car).

  There just isn't much room to work. It's not
designed to be serviceable, and most parts require
removing of a lot of other parts to get access. Even
to get started you have to jack up the car and partally
disassemble the bonnet springs just to tilt it
enough to be able to stand where you can
reach the parts.

  An old joke goes something like: "How to remove
part xyz from your E-type. Disassemble entire car
and spread it out on the lawn. Take part xyz and
hide it. Assemble remaining parts to form an
E-type with part xyz removed."

  Remember, this is a car that you have to
drop the rear subframe to even SEE the rear
brake calipers.

  But, in the midst of all this negativity, all
this is forgotten when you are at the wheel.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca