Future of hobby and other matters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Future of hobby and other matters
From: Neil_Oldfield@nag.national.com.au
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 13:38:02 +1000
<Snip>
The LBC clubs I belong to, on the other hand, are
dominated by a bunch of very nice "old farts" and very few new or younger
members.  So, the question arises, what will happen when the old guard dies
off?
<Snip>

     This is a problem all over, I belong to a club over here (I'm in
Australia), called the Vintage Drivers Club.  Now the name is starting to become
a kind of in joke, as most of the drivers are now as old as the cars, some even
older.  The club is starting to look at ways to recruit new younger members.  We
cant rely on a company to make any more vintage cars, so we have to rely on
people becoming interested of their own accord.  John Blair mentioned in his
post some good points about mentoring young people to get them interested in the
hobby.  We are lucky over here to not have many places that will ban you from
changing you oil and doing basic maintenance (Hell I did an oil change in the
work car park once, as it was under cover and had better lighting than at
home.).  Though I believe some councils are getting a little edgy on spares
cars, and full restorations, but we still live in a free country and they
haven't, managed yet to ban it.  But back to the problem of getting new blood
into the hobby, maybe the clubs could organise some form of garage space for
club members to store and work on their car at reduced cost, with some of the
older members on hand to help the younger guys, and maybe offer them some
support or take them for a drive in a restored car when their spirits are
failing.  I am lucky, my introduction to older cars came from my father, who I
share the caretaker duties on the Graham with.  Without his and my wives support
I would not be in this hobby.

On to other things,  The Audi TT is an absolute sensation, was passed by one on
my daily commute the other day,  Looks better in the flesh than in the pictures.

     As for the guy that is having a problem getting his wife out of the MG,
Buy her a set of vanity plates and another MG for yourself, that way you get to
spend as much as you like on your car,  It for YOUR MG dear honest........ Oh
and smile this hobby is a lot easier with her assistance and if she enjoys it.

     As for the List, isnt it amasing, we have discitions of Zappa, Emmerson,
one sig file in latin, and feltching (Wow how did that get in their).......<G>

Just my thoughts,

Neil
64 MGB
28 Graham Paige