Re: 9/9/99

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>, "Dave Houser" <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: 9/9/99
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 00:28:05 -0400
Don't know whay either - But I have seen it. It only affects stuff that
has a date calc dependent on the field that uses the 9999 as a missng
data holder. Mostly I agree with Tab - The universe will keep strolling a
long

Larry

>No, it's not so.  I don't know who started it.
>
>What we USED to do was, typically in databases, use 99/99/99 as an
>end-of-records marker.  There's lots of special-case code that used
>99/99/99.  However I can't imagine why anyone would use a valid date
>9/9/99.  But the rumours persist....
>
>I think the universe will hum on.
>
>- Tab
>

>At 09:57 PM 9/8/99 +0000, Dave Houser wrote:
>>Friends,
>>As I sign off tonite, I'm reminded that my birthday tomorrow has a
>>special meaning in the old computer code leading to possible Y2K probs.
>>At 9/9/99, programs were scheduled to stop. Is this so?
>>Thanks goodness, there's no chips in my MGs.
>>Cheers,
>>Dave Houser

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?