Re: Trying to keep calm.. way OT, a rhetorical rant even.

To: REwald9535@aol.com
Subject: Re: Trying to keep calm.. way OT, a rhetorical rant even.
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 08:45:08 -0500
REwald9535@aol.com wrote:

>    My beef was the thought of
> going to jail for 20 over.  You have to admit from a civilian point of view
> getting hauled to jail is a mite severe for 20 mph over the limit considering
> all the factors (rural area, no cross streets, no children present, etc.)
> Also the thought of going to jail because some yahoo in Sacramento did not
> sign a piece of paper is, well, let's just say it doesn't give me the warm
> fuzzies when I consider my state
> government.                                                       He did
> not have to do this and I did appreciate it.  When we parted way I did in
> fact thank the officer and shook his hand.  Police have a very difficult job,
> and as a group I admire the heck out of them.
> Rick Ewald

    Well, Rick, you certainly didn't have to go to the trouble to write!
Apparently, the officer was pretty good as that is the way to leave 'em- happy
w/
a ticket in their hand.  He must have some time on the job.
    The problem w/ traffic tickets is that most states, if not all by now,
require some sort of bond to "guarantee" an appearance in court.  I can tell you
from experience that a person from out of state, especially as the distance from
home increases, is less and less likely to appear or pay the ticket.  Not you
necessarily but the masses are that way.  The reciprocal program just means that
if you get a ticket in Florida, for instance, and fail to show up or pay the
fine, the great state of Florida would contact the folks at your local DMV and
request "the system".  The DMV usually, depending on the state, would send out a
"Rick, pay your ticket in Florida, or else!" notice.  If you didn't get it taken
care of the next letter says something like "Your driver's license has been
suspended until you get right w/ Florida."  All this does is satisfy the state's
requirement for some sort of bond and save the officer and motorist a lot of
hassle.  Consider the old way-you and your wife are on the way to grandma's
house
w/ a couple of little kiddies and you get stopped.  Hassle is watching mom
explain why daddy is getting in the wagon w/ the nice policeman!  Hassle is
unloading the car and getting it towed because mom doesn't have her current
license w/ her.  Yep, the reciprocal system saves all of us!
    Anyway, don't worry about apoligizing to me!  More accurately, I should
apoligize to you--After that many years at it, it's a little hard to look at
things from a different angle.
    BTW, I only got one response to my breakfast offer.  Thanks, Larry, but
Denver is a little far for the short notice.  Maybe Monday or Tuesday?

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO