Honda Roadster

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Honda Roadster
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 07:16:51 +0000
OK, seeing as we have done a little look at some other roadsters around
the place, check out the new Honda S2000

http://www.hondaprices.com/s2000.htm

They had a write-up in my local paper about the new model and the
picture that accompanied the article (more-so than the front-on shot on
the website) gave me a bit of a fright.  Maybe it has been all this talk
about new MGs for the US market, but I saw... a new MG. Closer
inspection revealed what would noticeably make it not one but first
impression was eerie (even with its Cobra-esque front grill/nose).

All the specs are on the page at the URL above, but in brief... (and it
is too early in the morning to do all the non-metric conversions)

240km/h
2 litre / 4cyl VTEC engine
spins to 9000rpm developing 176kW
0-100km/h in 6.2 seconds
six speed manual trans

They are really playing to the sports-car market (it is priced in
Australia at about $10,000 above the MGF price) with... "The cockpit is
true sportscar with; leather upholstered spoirts seats; thick grip
sports steering wheel; short, stubby (short throw) gear shift; plus
F1-inspired digital instrumentation"

Oh yeah... another toy/ploy...

"... to add to the impression that there is plenty of power on tap (!?),
a red starter button fires the mechanicals into action" - (sheesh).

And what bloody fun is an electrically operated top (hood) folds down in
a switch-opertaed six seconds.

I think they forgot to add... "no user maintainable parts inside -
please return to authorised service centre for warranty repair".

Eric
'68MGB MkII