Re: No chance.. (MGA @(*#&!(*!! Hub)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Subject: Re: No chance.. (MGA @(*#&!(*!! Hub)
From: "Spawn" <spawn@net-link.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:28:08 -0400
> BUT all that pales into comparason when compared to the pig of a week I've
> had trying to remove my front hubs from my Wire wheeled MGA.. The RHS hub
is
> bound on the kingpin, or the bearing is. No amount of beatin', pulling
with
> tyre attached, or even god help me, crowbar intervention will remove this
> sucker. I have new rotors to go on, and all new bearings. I reported to
the

Had the same thing happen to me (embarassingly enough) while attending one
of John Twist's technical seminars this winter.  The bearing went out and
just about welded itself to the kingpin. Ask Nina, she was riding with me
when it went out!  :)

John was kind enough to have one of his mechanics (Hi Tim!) who was there to
help him with the seminar have a go at getting it removed.  We tried quite a
bit of "persuasion" to remove the blasted race, but no go.  What finally
worked (thanks Mark!) was using a tool such as a steering wheel puller
(harder because they don't have claws or one of those harmonic balancer
pullers (which I believe have the little claws).

Just set the little grippers around the race and the point from the middle
screw of the tool on the end of the kingpin and start turning the screw.  It
looked easy when done that way (especially after over an hour battling it
myself).

Hope this helps!

Chris