Re: Roller throw out bearing

To: microdoc@apk.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roller throw out bearing
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 21:31:55 EDT
In a message dated 10/19/99 9:09:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
microdoc@apk.net writes:

> I think your success with the graphite throwout bearing dictates that you
> stick
>  with them. By the way, how many clutches are you talking about here at 75k
>  apiece?
Between my own car and friends cars 4 or 5.
Before I learned how to A) drive a clutch and B) how to properly replace a
clutch My Mileage Did Vary (MMDV)
Tips on replacing a clutch
Replace all three pieces (disc, pressure plate and T/O)
Use new not rebuilt.
Always replace the pilot bushing
Always have the flywheel turned.
Buy a clutch alignment tool
Make sure that all the surfaces are CLEAN before assembly, use brake clean to
remove any greasy fingerprints.
Tighten the pressure plate in stages, if you crank it down unevenly you can
give yourself problems.  I have always put the pressure plate up start all
the bolts finger tight and then tighten each 1/2 turn and work my way around.
Don't get the disc in backward
Don't overtorque the clutch cover bolts. (they break!)
If you doubts about the arm and pivot for the T/O change it out now rather
then having to pull the engine later.
Plus see Barneys excellent advice on this subject in a thread  about two
weeks ago called driving on a slipping clutch.

I won't presume to teach this group how to drive. :-)
Rick