Re: Roller throw out bearing

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roller throw out bearing
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:41:02 -0700
Charley & Peggy Robinson had this to say:

>  Let's face facts boys an' girls, the only place we see the graphite
>throwout bushings is in our LBCs.  The millions of other stick shift
>cars/trucks on the road have roller or ball bearings in them.  Now just
>how bad can the bearings be?

I wouldn't say it's a problem with the bearings. It's a problem with the
tolerances in the MGB clutch assembly, not being designed with a ball
bearing TO in mind. I'm sure it could be re-engineered to be reliable
with ball bearing TOs, but who is going to invest the time and money to
do so (if Doug Jackson isn't, that is)?

I'm sure you could engineer crankshaft-fired ignition or electronic
engine management for an MGB, if you wanted to (after all, millions of
cars on the road have these features), but why bother? What problem would
you be solving? I think the ball bearing TO falls into this category of
unnecessary or misguided modernization for the sake of modernization. It
probably seemed like a good idea at the time (that Moss or whoever
introduced it), but now that the field reports are in, I would term it
dubious at best.

As my father would say, "[it's] the answer to a question that nobody
asked."

IMHO...

--

Max Heim