Re: Does the OD tranny require a shorter drive shaft?

To: "Andrew Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>,
Subject: Re: Does the OD tranny require a shorter drive shaft?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:40:58 -0800
Without trying to research the details I am not familiar with, I can
say...

There are at least 2 versions of the 4-synchro OD tranny, with a
changeover in 1977, I believe. They use different speedo calibrations.
The later one has OD in 4th gear only. It used the same driveshaft as the
3-syncro tranny in my 66, but that may mean it's a different one for you.
The rear axle type (tube or banjo) also comes into play here, I think.
>From what I looked up previously, you do have a choice of drive gears,
but neither one may be correct, depending on the total combo of
gearbox/speedo. My rig is over 6% off, but the best I could do with a
gear swap is 4% the other way. They're pretty expensive, too.

Still, it's worthwhile, IMHO.

Let's see, Moss shows the following driveshafts:
Banjo axle (not relevant to you) - 30" standard, 31.125" OD
Tube rear axle - 31.125" standard, 32" OD, to #138400
31.125" all, from #138401 on

So, the driveshaft should be OK.

The shifter switch means it is from a 1977 or later.

There are a 20-tooth and a 21-tooth pinion available (for different
prices!). The gear is an internal part which you might not want to mess
with.

You could try Skye's speedo chart page to see where that falls in:
The MGB Experience <http://www.mgb.bc.ca/>

You could get the OD wiring sub-harness or you could just run your own
wires and be a DPO in the making, like I did. With the shifter switch I
think you might want the real thing, to avoid fitment issues.

Good luck.

Andrew Lundgren had this to say:

--

Max Heim