Re: No More Speeding, now airbags

To: REwald9535@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No More Speeding, now airbags
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:06:13 EST
In a message dated 1/7/00 12:02:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
REwald9535@aol.com writes:

<< > << The safety devices used in race cars works better IMHO, and the last
 > thing
 >  we need is to be getting punched in the face by George Foreman during an
 >  accident. >>
 >
 >  No question about it.  Funny how competition seat belts are ILLEGAL for
 >  street use in most states.  Can anybody shed some light on that stupid
 move?

 Having driven race cars on the street, I can tell you that after a while,
 climbing over the side anti-intrusion bars gets a little old.
 While I don't know the reason behind race belts being illegal for road use,
 have a couple of ideas.  First they are not DOT approved, this is a deal
 ender right here.  Secondly what if somebody "installed" the belts with a
set
 of sheet metal screws, would they offer greater protection than the factory
 belts?  Before you say that no one would do this, the masses are as***.
 Rick Ewald >>

I guess that they have some legit reasons for not legalizing competition
harni (plural of harness) in street cars.  I guess I was thinking of us SCCA
types who have a comp. harness in addition to the stock belt so we can play
autocross on weekends.  We mount the belts so they pass a tech inspection and
are safe for competition.  But you are right.  I can just imagine how some
people could botch up the job.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget