Re: No More Speeding, now airbags

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No More Speeding, now airbags
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 00:01:39 EST
In a message dated 01/06/2000 8:30:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Ajhsys@aol.com writes:

> << The safety devices used in race cars works better IMHO, and the last
> thing
>  we need is to be getting punched in the face by George Foreman during an
>  accident. >>
>
>  No question about it.  Funny how competition seat belts are ILLEGAL for
>  street use in most states.  Can anybody shed some light on that stupid
move?

Having driven race cars on the street, I can tell you that after a while,
climbing over the side anti-intrusion bars gets a little old.
While I don't know the reason behind race belts being illegal for road use, I
have a couple of ideas.  First they are not DOT approved, this is a deal
ender right here.  Secondly what if somebody "installed" the belts with a set
of sheet metal screws, would they offer greater protection than the factory
belts?  Before you say that no one would do this, the masses are as***.
Rick Ewald