Re: No More Speeding, now airbags

To: REwald9535@aol.com, mgs List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No More Speeding, now airbags
From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:08:53 -0500
IMHO,

I think you call them "B" pillars. Mount the belts to the "B" pillars. If they
are not strong enough to support the safety belt... throw the whole car design
in
the dumpster where it belongs and start over. This past weekend, actually
yesterday, I had another first hand view of a fatal collision on I-80 in Western
PA. Word had it on the CB channels that an eastbound minivan rubbed shoulders
with some other eastbound vehicle, thence the driver lost control of the
vehicle,
drove it across the grassy median (at least 100') banged the front bumper into a
deep drainage ditch in the center that should have stopped it; that blew the
balloons off, sealing the fate of all in the minivan. The vehicle continued
across the median to collide head-on with a massive 18 wheeler that tore the
minivan in two as it ran it over. Those airbags did nothing to protect the
occupants (they all blew in the ditch.) nor did those flimsy seat belts help
anyone, nor did the State of PA or the US Govt. and whatever other lax
government
agency that claims to be interested in safety. Do I sound angry? Damn right I
am.
I hate seeing people who were alive a few minutes earlier torn to shreds in a
brutal accident that they thought they were protected from. I will have
nightmares for months re-seeing the horrid aftermath. Airbags are dangerous, if
for no other reason than they lull people into the infamous "false sense of
security". Watching a fire truck washing human blood off the pavement is too
sickening for me.  That poor family was being driven by an incompetent driver,
in
an incompetent vehicle, on an incompetent highway, patrolled by incompetent
cops.
That carnage should never have been able to occur. We should wake up to the
reality that air bags are next to useless, and demand their replacement by a
safety device that works.

IMHO

Jim