Re: Midgets and Sprites

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Midgets and Sprites
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 08:43:47 -0500
Whoa wait a minute "2 main bearings"?? As I recall it has 3 - one at each
end and one in the middle, between throws 2 and 3. See pg 10 MOss SPM-09
10/4/99, item 61.

Gotta agree on the cam bearings tho - I thought that was weird the first
time I rebuilt one. Seems to work tho.

Larry

>>The later 1500cc engine has a little more HP
>>(in original spec.) but the A series engine is preferred because it seems to
>>be a tighter or crisper engine.
>>
>Not only that, but the (originally Triumph) 1500 has only 2 main bearings
>and no cam bearings (hard to believe, eh? what were they thinking?), so
>is not at all recommended for serious tweaking. Cheaper to rebuild,
>though, one would think... (which is good, as it probably requires it
>frequently -- at least the only one I know personally did).
>
>--
>
>Max Heim
>'66 MGB GHN3L76149
>If you're near Mountain View, CA,
>it's the red one with the silver bootlid.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.