RE: Midgets and Sprites

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: RE: Midgets and Sprites
From: "Tom Speed" <tspeed@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 12:41:15 -0500
Last time I looked the 1500 had 3 main bearings. As to the cam, it actually
has 4 bearing surfaces as opposed to the "A" series which only had 3. The
lack of cam bearings generally didn't pose a problem. The weakness of the
1500 had more to do with the insufficient crankshaft thrust washers. Those
who liked to keep their foot on the clutch at stoplights eventually found
the little buggers sitting at the bottom of the oil pan while the crank
chewed up the block in an expensive way.

As to tuning, the long stroke of the 1500 and the weak material of the crank
made it difficult to make more than minor performance modifications without
putting the whole package at risk.

Tom Speed
Retired MG Racer
'76 MG Midget (Project car for my son)