Re: Punch List

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Punch List
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 18:40:57 -0800
Robert Haigney had this to say:

>Here's my list of To-Do's.......
>
>1. I also have a shaking on my steering, when i do between 57 and 63 Mph,
>all other speeds seem to be fine.  Is this a bushing, or is it something
>with the wheels...?

This seems to be the speed range at which vibration is at a max on all
Bs. Probably has to do with the resonant frequency of the unibody. If you
can feel up & down, left & right play at the steering wheel, you could
need the column bush. But there are more common sources of general
vibration... wheel balance and alignment, wire wheel spoke issues,
overall condition of front suspension, steering rack wear.

>2.  Brakes pull to the right( but at least I can stop), and then this
>morning, the brakes locked on on the front right wheel, they freed back up
>after cooling down, luckily I was only a mile from home.

You may need to rebuild the right front caliper... but first check the
right flex hose. It may be deteriorating from the inside. But consider it
a warning that all the brake components may be due for rebuilding.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149