RE: Why OD on 4spd and not just 5spd?

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: RE: Why OD on 4spd and not just 5spd?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:39:09 -0800
The planetary design of Overdrive Unit is still in use.  A unit is available
to install behind the 5 speed in Dodge Diesel pickups.  It uses the exact
same design and patents.
The OD allows the use of a low geared rear end for pulling (acceleration)
and still allows adequate unloaded top speed.

I have not researched the question of 4th only OD that deeply.  A comparison
with UK spec. cars would be illuminating.  All Fed. late MGBs used what was
the OD switch to control the spark advance solenoid.  The switch operating
plate was modified to allow the switch to close only in 4th gear, no-longer
3rd and 4th. This allowed vacuum to go to the distributor only in 4th gear.
On cars equipped with OD this meant that you only had OD in 4th.  I would
imagine that the operating plate could be replaced with an earlier one, but
I havn't investigated.

Kelvin.