Re: MGB and stereos

To: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB and stereos
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:08:47 -0400
At 09:27 AM 06/15/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Listers,
>
>My wife wants music and I don't think it's a bad idea.

It is actually quite a good idea.  Good for taped stories and NPR.

>Any suggestions on
>the best place to mount speakers in a B?

When I bought my B (76) it had speakers in the doors and a pair underneath
the top in back. I suppose in the rain the speakers in back would be
nice...but otherwise, they are useless.  The speakers in the door are fine,
but if you are installing them, watch the placement as my left leg tends to
block the left speaker periodically as I fidget around. But then, it has to
be positioned below the window works as well.  My next task is to replace
the speakers as one is going bad (bad on bass) but I'd still keep them
where they are currently located.

>What level of output (WATTS) is
>needed to have sound with the top down.

I replaced the old mechanical radio with a Panasonic tuner/amplifier/tape
deck with just 15-20W or so per channel. It is enough for me and my SO.

>I want good sound, I don't want
>angry drivers next to me in traffic.

This set-up is NOT a boom box.

>  ;-) I would love to hear what others
>have installed and what you would have done differently. Thanks...

I would really like to know more from people who have replaced their seats
with speaker-seats (Miata?). That is a really intriguing option.

Bill
'76B