Re: MGB and stereos

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB and stereos
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:40:30 -0700
I have an el cheapo 15W (?) pullout stereo. The good thing is when I pull
it out, I put the radio blanking plate into the hole (I fabricated a
spring clip that holds it very securely) and no one knows there was a
radio at all. The bad thing is the speakers are near the bottoms of the
doors (DPO created holes), so unless it is cranked to the point of
distortion you can't hear it at all at highway speed. I figured a cheap
stereo was all that was necessary since you are not going to be able to
appreciate any subtleties with all the wind, exhaust, and mechanical
cacophony. Also, if I left it in by mistake and someone walked with it,
I'd only be out $99. However, I would think better speakers (than
$20/pair 5-inchers), and better speaker location especially, would be a
big improvement. More conspicuous speakers might make the "stealth"
aspect of the blanking plate ineffective, though. But then, for some
reason MGBs do not seem to attract the attention of carbreakers, as has
been previously noted.

Anyway, that's my experience. I'm sure somebody will have a better
recommendation.

Phillips, Frank had this to say:

--

Max Heim