Re: Pos to neg

To: "Brian Warmuth" <warmuthb@WLSC.WVNET.EDU>,
Subject: Re: Pos to neg
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:14:51 +0100
For the MGB as well as the the coiled wire (and that is only on the earlier
electronic tachs) the internal supply connections to the electronics must be
reversed as well, as John Twist in the Moss cataloge says.  Even tachs with
the loop have three different ways of connecting the white wires, and for
tachs with the internal loop and male and female connectors on the case of
the tach you will have to reverse the internal loop, or swap over the
connectors on the wires, or find the bullets further down the white wires
and reverse those.

The wiper motor will run backwards.  You may not notice, but on the other
hand you could find the blades stopping in a slightly different position,
but is easily dealt with by altering the position of the arms on the
splines.

I disagree with Moss when they say that heater blower motors do not need to
be changed.  The efficiency of the fan various enormously with direction of
rotation, and since the motor has a permament magnet 'stator', just like the
wiper motor, it will rotate backwards if you reverse the battery
connections.  Anyone can see the effect of this by reversing the connections
at the bullet connectors at the motor, and this is one of the first things I
recommend is checked where people complain about poor heater output.

In my opinion Moss glosses over it a bit, but as far as battery connections
go both my cars have different-sized positive and negative clamps, so the
clamps on the cables have to be changed before the cables can be connected
the other way round.

PaulH.