Re: Octane and altitude ratios???

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <Lundgren@iname.com>, <Gonaj@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Octane and altitude ratios???
From: "James Nazarian Jr" <james.nazarian@colorado.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 22:49:23 -0600
Bassically the rule of thumb is to use the lowest octane that you can
without pinging.  The recomendation is that number.  I run low grade gas in
my B here Andrew, and have no problems.  If you try it and it pings you
will have to go to higher gas, but I doubt you will have the problem.

James Nazarian
71 B Roadster
71 BGT

"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"
Enzo Ferrari

----------
> From: Andrew B. Lundgren <Lundgren@iname.com>
> To: Gonaj@aol.com
> Cc: yd3@nvc.net; mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Octane  and altitude ratios???
> Date: Wednesday, July 05, 2000 10:32 AM
>
> That damage to the pocket book is what I am trying to avoid.  I have a
Ford Explorer as well as an MGB that gets 15-16mpg...  The owners manual
says 87 or higher, but I think that is calcualted for sea-level.  When I
buy the highest available octain I get better gas mileage...  This is just
one of lives mysteries I wanted to understand better.