Re: Octane and altitude ratios???

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Octane and altitude ratios???
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:22:08 -0600
I don't think it works quite like this. I was going to do some similar
calculations but then decided it was too much work to worry about. And I
try to avoid getting too scientific on this list although I've probably
over stepped my bounds a time or two. I only have to mention the infamous
discussion of batteries on cement floor discussion a few years ago as an
example that some will shudder to remember. Well, in retrospect, the list
has been doing really good this year after we survived that discussion,
cats, drivelines, and other forgotten topics.

But to make a long story short, there is the pressure decrease from the
altitude, lower temperatures, the need to compensate the fuel mixture for
high altitude. Probably too complex to worry about. I was hoping it would
be simplified in a book kind of like the "ideal" gas law (engineering
students learn that its not so ideal after all). Might make a good research
project for an engineering student though if it hasn't been done before.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT