RE: Wire wheel conversion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Wire wheel conversion
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 10:10:20 -0400
Stephen wrote:

> I have recently purchased a 64 B ... [snip] ...
> My question:  how difficult, and what are the steps, to convert from
> steel rims to wires? ... [snip]...

Hans replied:

> ... [snip] ...
> Rear - more complex you have to replace the half shafts or find an
> exchange rear drive axle.
>
> Parts manuals will show difference details on both front and rear. I
> have an older version of the USA Moss catalogue - works well in
> combination with the Haynes manual.
> ... [snip] ...

Ken replied:

> I am also contemplating converting my 74 B from steel wheels to wire
> wheels.  I thought I had heard the whole rear end needed to be changed
> because of different axle lengths between wire and steel wheel cars.
>  I can't remember if this was for the Midget or B though.  Any advise
> would be appreciated.

Ken, your correct ... Stephen, you will need to source a new rear axle ...
what the parts catalogs don't show is that the Disc Wheel (DW) axle
housing is wider than the Wire Wheel (WW) axle housing (senior moment -
don't recall exact variance - 1 1/2"?)... unlike the parts catalogs, the
factory parts manual lists different part numbers for the DW and WW axles.
So, if you retain the DW axle housing and fit WW half shafts ... the WW
half shafts will not fully engage the differential gears ... they will
slightly engage, but are subject to failure under heavy load.

Safety Fast!

Larry Unger
'61 MGA 1600 MkII