Re: Pt. 2: Next lesson: a blown clutch master-cylinder

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pt. 2: Next lesson: a blown clutch master-cylinder
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:55:41 -0700
The shop manual proceecure for replacing cylinder cups, be it master, brake, or
clutch, is to lubricate the seal with brake fluid.  I try to avoid this as it
leaves brake fluid on the top of the seal where the steel piston touches and
also leaves some on the walls of the cylinder which also corrodes the sides of
the pistons. I can sometimes assemble the pistons dry, or if necessary I use a
dab of rubber grease supplied with the seals or by Castrol.  I have rebuilt over
two dozen cylinders using the grease without any problems.

Blake